Thursday, July 21, 2011

5 Best Books: Love







5 Best Books is a weekly meme hosted by Cassandra at indiereaderhouston.com where one has to list 5 favourite books on a given topic. This week's topic is Love.


The Jewel in the Crown: English Daphne Manners 
falls in love with Indian Hari Kumar only for rascism to rear its ugly head in the form of DSP Ronald Merrick who falsely implicates Kumar in a criminal case. Paul Scott brilliantly exposes the inner workings of a colonial situation in this tale of triangular desire.


The End of the Affair: Maurice Bendrix, an aspiring writer, falls in love with Sarah Miles, the wife of the civil servant Henry Miles. Their affair comes to an abrupt end after a night of bombing during the Blitz. Graham Greene's poignant novel is about the pain and anguish of loving and losing.


 Twins: A disturbing tale of need and desire between identical twin brothers, Michael and David. As their love moves from fraternal to obsessional, the readers get a glimpse of the destructive power of love. Bari Wood and journalist Jack Geaseland present a fictional account of the incestuous doctors whose double suicide shook US in the seventies.


The Demon's Lexicon: Alan Ryves makes a vow to his soon-to-be-killed father that he will take care of his mother and kid brother Nick for ever. And he keeps his promise even though Nick might not be capable of loving him back. Sarah Rees Brennan's makes a stunning debut with this tale of sibling love that will leave you teary-eyed.


Wuthering Heights: How can any list on love be complete without this book by Emily Bronte? But for me it is not merely the legendary love affair between Heathcliff and Catherine that leaves an impression, Hindley's love for his wife is just as heart wrenching.


So, this is my pick. What's yours? Do share. 


To see the lists of others, go here:
http://indiereaderhouston.com/blog/2011/07/5-best-books-love/































3 comments:

  1. The End of the Affair is one of the best (and, to me, one of the most authentic) love stories out there. I can't believe I forgot that one. I would have used it on my list instead of Sookie :)

    Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too recommend Graham Greene's book. Though it made me angry more often than not, it is still a very moving love story.

    I remember watching THE JEWEL IN THE CROWN on PBS. Fell in love with Hari Kumar myself. :)

    Art Malick should have gone on to become a big star. But...

    WUTHERING HEIGHTS is not a favorite book, so I didn't include it. I have to say I never liked Cathy and I always thought Heathcliff was a nutcase. Just my own personal opinion you understand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cassandra and Yvette

    The end of the Affair is indeed a remarkable book. The person whom I felt most sorry was Henry.

    Catherine and Heathcliff are not likable characters at all. Both are hard as nails and extremely vindictive. But well their love for each other...

    ReplyDelete