Well, now that I have completed one challenge, it is time to sign up for all those lovely challenges for 2012. And in keeping with tradition, the first one that I am signing up for is The Vintage Mystery Challenge hosted by Bev at MY READER'S BLOCK.
This year round Bev has introduced a thematic twist to the challenge. There are ten themes in all and one has to read atleast eight books (all published before 1960) - on a particular theme - to complete the challenge. Crossovers with other challenges are allowed. There is a grand prize and other giveaways too.
There are some very interesting themes but I am playing it safe and opting for the two safest ones:
1. Golden Age Girls: It requires me to read 8 vintage mysteries that are either written by a female author or have a female detective
1. The Slippery Staircase by E.C.R Lorac
2. The Story of Ivy by Belloc Lowndes
3. The Crime at Black Dudley by Margery Allingham
2. Cherchez le Homme: It requires me to read 8 vintage mysteries that are either written by a male author or have a male detective.
1. A Coffin for Dimitrios by Eric Ambler (1939)
2. The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens
3. He Who Whispers by John Dickson Carr
4. The Eight of Swords by John Dickson Carr
5. The Double Traitor by E. Phillips Oppenheim
For further details, go here: