Monday, December 12, 2011

Reading Challenge # 4: War Through the Generations



I am participating in War Through the Generations 2012 challenge that focuses on WWI. One can read fiction, non-fiction, graphic novels etc with WWI as the primary or secondary theme. Books can take place before, during, or after the war, so long as the conflicts that led to the war or the war itself are important to the story.Books from other challenges count so long as they meet the above criteria. There will be a read-along and giveaways too.


The challenge, which will last the entire year, has different levels for one to choose from. I have chosen Dip which means I will be reading 1-3 books related to WWI. I might, as the year progresses, jump on to a higher level but as of now I am choosing the first level.


As I've already read the (frequently) recommended books of WWI: Across the Black Waters, All Quiet on the Western Front, A Farewell to Arms, Goodbye to All That, The Great War and Modern Memory, The Regeneration trilogy, Siegfried Sassoon's Diaries,  I will be looking for lesser known books of this period. I am excited about the (re)search.


For more information and sign-up, go here:
http://warthroughthegenerations.wordpress.com/2012-challenge-info-and-sign-up/

4 comments:

  1. I will publish my Literature and War Readalong 2012 list next week.
    The first three will be WWI books. Maybe you would like to join fot the one or the other.
    I already told Anna that I will join them for War through the Generations as well. I have two books that I wanted to read and which were not such good choices for the readalong. One is YA and the other is very special.
    But I'll announce it in a week in more detail.
    In this year's readalong we had 4 WWI novels.
    The one I liked best was Jennifer Johnston's How Many Miles to Babylon?
    I've read all the books you name with the exception of Across the Black Waters. I will have to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you join us for the read-a-long of A Farewell to Arms. Thanks for signing up.

    Caroline, please feel free to sign up on the signups page and I will get you on the participants list with your reading goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Caroline
    Your comment has me intrigued. I look forward to the details. I haven't read How Many Miles to Babylon? but will look it up. Do read Across the Black Waters. It is by Mulk Raj Anand and is considered one of the greatest war classics ever written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anna and Serena

    I look forward to the challenge and the read-a-long.

    ReplyDelete