Wednesday, April 11, 2012

J is for J. Alfred Prufrock

In 1915, appeared a poem that was to change the course of literature and leave its imprint forever.



T.S. Eliot's J. Alfred Prufrock is a hero in a very unheroic sense. He is unsure, timid, and insecure:

...an attendant lord, one that will do
To swell a progress, start a scene or two, 
Advise the prince; no doubt, an easy tool, 
Deferential, glad to be of use,
Poetic, cautious, and meticulous;
Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse;
At times, indeed, almost ridiculous...

Prufrock represents all those anonymous, little men who fall in love but are afraid to reveal their feelings for fear of rejection because somewhere they know that in the prosaic life of theirs, romance is but a pipe-dream:

I have heard the mermaids singing each to each.
I do not think they will sing to me.


*


Do you know of little men making a big difference? Do share.

*

Entry for letter J.





8 comments:

  1. One of my very favorite works of poetry. I could read this poem every day for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liwi for commenting. It is a great favourite of mine too. Some of the lines are so haunting:

      And in short, I was afraid...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Rob. I can't take credit because I am just quoting some great masters and sharing my love for their works.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the book tip! I'll have to put it on my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks T. Drecker for stopping by. It is a marvellous poem with a melancholic tone that is truly haunting.

      Delete
  4. This is one of my favorite poems! Nice post.

    Dana, stopping by via the A to Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dana.

      it is a great favourite of mine too.

      Delete