Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Q is for Question of Blood by Ian Rankin





There is a shooting incident at a Scottish school. Two seventeen years are killed and one injured by an ex-army man who later trains the gun on himself. Three bodies and one wounded student. Inspector Rebus feels at first that there is no mystery but since one of the students killed happens to be the son of a cousin, he gets involved in the case. As investigations proceed however, Rebus finds himself getting fascinated by the killer, a military man and a loner like himself. Meanwhile, the army too has got involved in the case and it does appear that not everything is what it seems to be and that there is a cover-up operation in progress. Rebus, himself, is under suspicion for having killed a criminal who had been harassing his fellow-officer Siobhan Clarke. Just what is going on? What really happened at the school and why are Rebus' hands scalded...?

A Question of Blood was the first Rankin that I read. Till that time I had not heard of Rebus or his creator. This was an interesting book and different from the kind of book that I usually read.


*

Entry for letter Q in the Crime Fiction Alphabet meme.

4 comments:

  1. I have only read one of this series but have a stack at home to be read. This is a good reminder to get back to that series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read only two of this series. The books are not something I'll pick up on my own but in case somebody insists I read one, I'll do so.

      Delete
  2. have not read any Rebus novels yet. Scotland is one of my favorite settings though and have found that I really enjoy anything written by a Scottish crime writer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only other Scottish crime writer whom I have read is Alexander MacGill and didn't really enjoy him. I found this novel to be better than the other one that I read : Black and Blue though it won the Edgar.

      Thanks for having a look.

      Delete