Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Tuesday Memes


Every Tuesday Bibliophile by the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where one shares the first paragraph or (2) of a book one has recently read, is reading or thinking about reading soon.  

Here is mine from Georgette Heyer's The Reluctant Widow:

It was dusk when the London to Little Hampton stage-coach lurched into the village of Billingshurst, and a cold mist was beginning to creep knee-high over the dimly seen countryside.





Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!


Here's mine, again from the same book:

You won't repeat this, Ned, but there's an important memorandum gone astray, and they are all in an uproar over it. By what I can make out, it's to do with his lordship's campaign for this spring, and there are only two copies in existence. You may guess what Bonaparte would give to have an inkling of what Wellington means to do, whether he will march on Madrid a second time, or strike in some new direction. (63-64)









Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where every Tuesday one has to prepare a list of (10) books on a given topic. This week the question is what are the books that you bought with a great deal of enthusiasm, planning to read them the moment you reached home... but never did.


Here are some of the books that I couldn't wait to get my hands on but which once bought still languish unread on my shelves.

















Have you read any of these? How did you find them?

12 comments:

  1. Neer, I haven't read any of these books though I have read MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY comic-book, the original Classics Illustrated series being amongst some of my favourite comics. I also hope to read a couple of books by Georgette Heyer for a taste of her Victorian humour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant, if you haven't read Heyer as yet, I suggest that you begin with The Black Moth. It was the first books of hers that I read (also incidentally the first book that she wrote) and found it immensely enjoyable.

      Delete
  2. I do love the intro from the Heyer book. Thanks so much for joining in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an interesting book, Diane. I love to participate in this meme. Thanks for hosting it.

      Delete
  3. Oh, Heyer has written some great stuff. I'm so glad you included this one. And I'm impressed with the variety of books you chose for Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Margot. It was fun to look at the shelves and realize that so many books bought with so much fervour were simply languishing on the shelves.

      Delete
  4. I haven't dropped by in a while so just thought I would say hello and glad to see you are working your way through the books. I think you have read more books than anyone I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rob. So happy to see you once again. You are very kind but there are so many voracious readers out there that the number of books that I have read seems very limited.

      Delete
  5. Ooooh! You must read The Thirteenth Tale!! I couldn't put it down once I started reading. Kinda dark and intense, but extremely well written and the story is so gripping...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having a look, Rashmi. Yes, I have great things about The Thirteenth Tale and that's why I jumped up with joy when I saw it being offered in a sale. But somehow or the other, I haven't read it as yet.

      Delete
  6. I had to comment because we have some of the same books languishing on the shelves, unread. I have Giant, and put it off because it is longish AND not a mystery. I borrowed The 8:55 to Baghdad from my husband and had a hard time getting into it. Never finished it. I might like it more since I am now reading more Agatha Christie. And I have The Thirteenth Tale.

    The only one I have read is Jerusalem Inn. I have like the Martha Grimes books I have read, although they are variable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I began reading Giant once but then simply put it back, I really do not know why since I was ecstatic when I bought it, having seen the movie with James Dean and Rock Hudson in it. Have just placed the 8:55, and Thirteenth Tale on the shelves. Jeruslam Inn, I really want to read but perhaps I'll wait till X'mas to enjoy it all the more. :)

      Delete