Saturday, June 29, 2013

Reading Challenge: Language Freak Summer Challenge

Half of the year is gone. (seriously, where did the time disappear?) And I am signing-up for my toughest challenge as yet: Language Freak Summer Challenge hosted @ In My Book.



The idea is to read books in the original language rather than in translation. But that means...Yes, it means that we learn that (foreign) language and read a text in that particular language.

Well, the language that I have chosen is Urdu. Now, by no stretch of imagination, can Urdu be called a foreign language in India which is the land of its birth but it is also true that it is slowly dying in India. I have working knowledge of some languages spoken in India like English and Punjabi and I am pretty fluent in Hindustani, which is a mixture of Hindi and Urdu but have little knowledge of Urdu per se. And learning the script is in itself a formidable task.

This challenge I hope will help me learn one of the most beautiful languages of the world. Two months that is the time I have. Hopefully by the end of it I'd have read a book that has long been on my wishlist: Badnaseeb Shaheed Sukhdev.

If you too are interested in challenging yourself, please follow the link above.

Due to my preoccupation with this challenge, posting on the blog will be erratic.

So off I go....wish me luck.

7 comments:

  1. Very cool! I signed up for this challenge but haven't started yet. :/ I really need to, I have my books (Italian) ready to go! :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monika. And good luck to you too.

      Delete
  2. Neere,

    You can ask Mukta for help.

    - Nitu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a splendid idea, Nitu di. I think I'll give her a ring. Why don't you sign-up for the challenge too? It'd be fun comparing notes.

      Delete
    2. I had thought of learning French at the start of the year so that I could read some books in French.

      I am still in the learning process. So, in a way, I am already signed up.

      - Nitu

      Delete
  3. Wow, Urdu is so cool and unusual! I hope to also see you write some of your reflections in Urdu - it's a great practice :) Welcome to the challenge and good luck! I've added your sign-up to June update post and I'm subscribed to your blog in order not to miss anything :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ekaterina. I really hope I am able to learn the language.

      Delete