Thursday, December 26, 2013

Challenge Complete: Outside the Box





I have successfully completed Reading Outside the Box challenge, hosted by Musings of a Book Lover. I had opted for the 'It's not so bad out here' level which meant I had to read books in 5-7 different genres/categories. I actually did one better, reading ten books in 8 categories which means I actually upped my level to 'Look at me, outside my comfort zone!' Yahoo!

 Here are the books read:

#2   Another Voice

The Wretched of the Earth by Frantz Fanon

Barring books by Indians, I hardly read anything written by Black writers. So it was wonderful (though also extremely heartbreaking) to read this book about the Algerian War of Independence written from a Black person's perspective.

#3   Opposites Attract
I am not into YA literature but this year I read not one but two YA novels.

Behind the Green Door by Mildred A. Wirt
Bombay Rains Bombay Girls by Anirban Bose

#4   5 Star Day

The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino

I had never read any Japanese Crime fiction but suddenly there were a lot of positive things being written about Japanese writer Keigo Higashino. The title of the book made me a little wary (X-Rated stuff!) but it turned out to be a marvellous book, well deserving of all the praise, and not at all what I had feared.


#5   XyZ pdQ

Both the authors have a Z in their names!

Night Screams by Bill Pronzini and Barry N. Malzberg
[Yes, I know your eye-sight is perfect but it was fun writing it this way].

#6   It’s my Birthday!

 Lenz by Peter Schneider

Published in 1973, this is a contemporary classic.


#7   From one place…

I read very many books that were neither firstly published in India nor in the USA. Here's a link to the one that has the earliest publishing date.

Mysteries by Knut Hamsun

The Norwegian writer won the Nobel-Prize and promptly presented it to Joseph Goebbels (His first name now makes sense, doesn't it?)

#8   It’s All About ME!
Well, the first one certainly is!
Beloved Witch: An Autobiography by Ipsita Roy Chakraverti
Amen: The Autobiography of a Nun by Sister Jesme.


#12  I couldn’t help myself!

 Anatomy of a Disappearance by Hisham Matar

I had no idea either about the book or the author. But the cover was so compelling, I simply had to borrow it. And yes, it was worth it. Have a look yourself:




*

I had lots of fun doing this challenge and I am glad that it is being hosted again with all new different and exciting categories. I'll be signing up for it soon. If you too are interested, please have a look over here.



5 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you enjoyed the year in different genres, and even more excited that you plan on joining me in this coming year. It sounds like you have read some very fascinating books! I am glad that I got you out of your 'comfort zone' a little and that you enjoyed it!

    Happy New Year!
    -Kate @ Musings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, I really enjoyed reading books from different categories. Looking forward to the 2014 edition.

      A very happy new year to you too.

      Delete
  2. Good show, Neer! It was only after I started blogging did I realise that Carolyn Keene (Nancy Drew) was the earliest avatar of Mildred A. Wirt. I'd like to see what else she wrote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Prashant. Even I had no idea that Wirt and Keene were one and the same. There are a lot of books that you can download for free from Many Books.

      Delete
    2. Neer, I agree Many Books is a good resource for legally free books. In fact, it was the first free books site I visited more than a year ago.

      Delete