Sunday, March 30, 2014

Mount TBR: March Checkpoint

It's March and time for the first check-in as we climb the mountains of books that always seem to be spilling-off the shelves.



Well, I am not aiming too high. All I have to do is to read 12 books in order to scale my small Pike's Peak. And I seem to be making adequate progress, having already read 3:

From Sawdust to Stardust by Terry Lee Rioux
 Kartography by Kamila Shamsie
To Make the Deaf Hear by S. Irfan Habib



Of these my favourite cover has been this:




The two men are Indian revolutionaries Bhagat Singh and Batukeshwar Dutt. They got themselves clicked before they went and threw bombs in the legislative assembly. Though the bombs were manufactured in such a way as not to kill anyone, this dare-devilry was sure to get them either hanged or incarcerated. I have often wondered what must have been passing through their minds as they sat facing the camera.

The Urdu couplets on top are from the Jail Notebook of Bhagat Singh. The first one reads thus:

Give me a heart of such temperament, O Protector
That it may pass the hour of sorrow also as a happy hour.  

*

If you want to go mountain climbing (and be rewarded for your efforts), click here.





14 comments:

  1. Neer, I'll keep an eye out for "To Make the Deaf Hear" by S. Irfan Habib. A historical, and refreshing, perspective on Bhagat Singh should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant, I hope you get the book. I look forward to reading your views on it.

      Delete
  2. Neeru - I"m pleased for you that you're making good progress. And you always review such interesting books, too. I look forward to the rest of your journey up the mountain. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind of you to say so, Margot. Thanks for your constant encouragement.

      Delete
  3. Doing well on your climb! Keep on going! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done for keeping up with your challenges Neeru - I've let many of mine slip (for shame).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sergio. I too haven't even begun reading for some of the challenges.

      Delete
  5. With three down, you're right on target...a quarter of the way done. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bev but this is puny compared to the pile of books you have conquered.

      Delete
  6. Some interesting books there. Do you get most of your books from the library?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy and you might not believe this but I have a phobia about finding myself, one day, with all my books read. In order to avoid such a scenario, I frequent libraries and have become a hoarder rather than a reader of books purchased.

      Delete
    2. Again, very interesting. I have often thought that I buy so many books and store them on shelves and even in boxes because worry that as I grow older I won't have money to buy books. It is silly but there it is.

      Delete
    3. It is not at all silly Tracy. I too fear that one day in future I'll perhaps not be able to make the trips to the library and so I go on collecting books. I can't tell you how agonising it is, at times, to pick up a book from the shelves.

      Delete