Sunday, October 26, 2014

German Literature Month 2014

My favourite reading event of the year: The German Literature Month is just round the corner. Since 2011, Caroline @ Beauty is a Sleeping Cat and Lizzy Siddal @ Lizzy's Literary Life have diligently co-hosted the event.




Though, I am not very good at planning in advance, here are some of the texts that I might be reading  in the month of November:















Have you read any of these? How did you find them?

*

Last year, I fell in love with the German novella: The Sunday I became World Champion. I hope I find another such gem in my reading this year too.



*

If you want to participate in the event too, you can find the details here.





6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the link and for participating.
    Your choices are ambitious as well. You've chose far longer novels than I. I loved The Radetzky March - i think it's one of the best novels ever written - and The Spider and Mlle de Scudéry are favourites. They are both great - great, dark atmopshere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline. I am excited a lot about the books esp. Scudery and Spider as they are mystery tales which I love. I am glad that you endorse them too.

      Keen to read Roth as I want to read about the Austro-Hungarian empire.

      Delete
  2. Neeru - Thanks for sharing this. I'll be really keen to see what you think of those novels. You've made some fascinating choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margot. I hope I am able to read all of them :)

      Delete
  3. Not familiar with many of these guys. I think I read LA RONDE by Schnitzler a long time ago when I read lots and lots of play scripts rather than novels. I've read one or two of the Tales of Hoffman. Everyone probably knows the story of The Nutcracker. He wrote the original story that became the famous ballet.

    Ever read any Hesse? I had to read Siddhartha and Steppenwolf in the original language for my German classes in high school -- what seems like a lifetime ago. I remember I enjoyed Siddhartha immensely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You read Hesse in the original. I have heard great things about him but have never read him.

      I am intrigued by Anatol and haven't read any Hoffman so am pretty excited about these books.

      Delete