Wednesday, January 14, 2015

First Read of 2015: The Individual and Society

I have started 2015 with an anthology The Individual and Society. Divided into five parts: Caste/ Class; Gender; Race; Violence and War; and Living in a Globalized World, this has some wonderful pieces on all these important issues. While many of the writers were familiar to me, I have also discovered new voices like Maya Angelou, Omprakash Valmiki, Jamaica Kincaid, and Roger Mais. Reading Manto's The Dog of Tetwal and Amitav Ghosh's The Ghosts of Mrs. Gandhi was a deeply moving experience.



I am happy with this book (though a bit unimpressed by all the typos - all the more surprising since it is a prescribed text in an Indian University) and wondering what else will I read in 2015.

First Line: Jotirao Phule (1827-90), the son of a mali, completed his primary education in 1838.
Title: The Individual and Society
Editor: Vinay Sood, Indira Prasad et al.
Publishing Detail: ND: Pearson, 2005
First Published: 2005
Pages: 251
Source: Borrowed from CL [820-8 S62I]

6 comments:

  1. It sounds absolutely fascinating, Neeru! And I like the wide variety of voices, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am glad Margot that I started the year with such a book. :)

      Delete
  2. A real shame that the proofing was so poor - I keep coming across this and am really saddened by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back Sergio. Hope you had a wonderful time in Australia. We have missed you.

      The proofing is really bad but the quality of the writing makes you put up with it.

      Delete
  3. I really love Maya Angelou as well. I have a tattoo of her words on my arm. :-)
    I think I might like this one if it has such great voices in it.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Freda and it's great that you have such a tattoo.

      I really liked the poem of Angelou in this anthology:

      You may writee me down in history
      With your bitter, twisted lies,
      You may trod me in the very dirt
      But still, like dust, I'll rise....

      Is your tattoo also from this poem?

      Delete