Tuesday, December 29, 2015

5 OTHER MYSTERIES

Very brief description of a few other mysteries read this year:

ALONG CAME A SPIDER by JAMES PATTERSON: My first James Patterson which deals with something that actually gives me nightmares: the kidnapping of children. Alex Cross is an interesting protagonist though the mystery is just about okay as I had guessed the identity of the spider early on.



FEARLESS JONES by WALTER MOSLEY: Set in 1950s LA, the story is narrated by bookshop owner Paris Minton whose store is burnt to ashes one fine day. Determined to bring the culprits to justice, he enlists the help of his friend Jones. The novel began well but than got lost in Jews and Nazi atrocities. But the incident describing how a boy was denied to use the library because of the colour of his skin was extremely powerful.





THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN by PAULA HAWKINS: Oh God! The buzz about this book. It seemed as though here was a classic mystery. And then to read it and find three hysterical women who seemed to speak in the same manner and a mystery that was paper-thin. Last time (I hope) I am taken in by those glowing reviews, bestsellers list, and screaming headlines.






IN AT THE KILL by ELIZABETH FERRARS: A young woman rents a cottage during the holidays but when she goes to meet the landlord, she finds him dead. Is there a reason why she rented the cottage and what about the man who was her co-passenger in the train? Interesting mystery by the Scottish writer.





LAST BUS TO WOODSTOCK by COLIN DEXTER: Finally after years of collecting his novels, I read the first Inspector Morse mystery. The mystery was okay (but not that made me want to pick up his second one immediately) but the line that stuck in my mind was the description of TV ariels being uprooted because of a wind storm. That brought to my mind the TV scenario in India during the eighties when often someone would be perched on the roof righting the TV antenna. Children growing up in the age of Dish and Cable will not understand what it was to have an antenna on the top.







4 comments:

  1. I would like to read the Ferrars book someday, and I have a copy of the Fearless Jones and hope to read it in the next year. I read a few of that James Patterson series but eventually tired of them. He keeps the reader's interest though.

    It is very interesting the different opinions one finds about The Girl on the Train. I am not interested anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with you about The Girl on the Train, hated it. You would think after Gone Girl I would have known better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, Neeru. I'm glad you found some things to like about Fearless Jones. Oh, and I do hope at some point you'll try another Morse mystery. ...Woodstock isn't the best one in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree more with your review of The Girl On The Train. Disappointing. Where was the talent?

    ReplyDelete