Sunday, January 31, 2016

First Read: Ninety Three by Victor Hugo

Last year, I had challenged myself to read 2 books by Victor Hugo: Les Miserables and
Ninety Three. While I was able to read the first one, I couldn't quite manage the second one. This year, I was determined that it be the first read of the year for me and I am glad that it has turned out to be so.



The novel set in the bloody days of Revolution and Terror in France is a masterpiece with people belonging to the same family arraigned in different groups, with France against France, and with England waiting to pounce at France. As the blood flows and the body count rises, Robespierre and Saint-Just sit at the helm, and heroism and villainy mix, people have to face questions and conflicts regarding Humanity or Loyalty; Revolution or Country;Family or Faith.

*

WHEN I Discovered This Classic: When I read how two Indian Revolutionaries Sukhdev and Bhagat Singh got into an intense arguement about it.

WHY I Chose to Read It: I wanted to see for myself what their debate was all about.

WHAT Makes It A Classic: Conflicts plaguing the characters.

WHAT I Thought of This Classic: Brings alive the historical epoch and a country that is finding its way forward.

WILL It Stay A Classic: Yes

WHO I’d Recommend It To: Anybody who is interested in Historical Fiction or is interested in novels which move forward through debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment