Friday, February 3, 2017

Hag's Nook by John Dickson Carr

Hag's Nook Hag's Nook by John Dickson Carr
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The first Dr. Fell. An atmospheric tale with a decent mystery. However, it also revealed to me the problems that I have with Carr. Except for The Burning Court, which I loved, and He Who Whispers, which I hated, I find it difficult to get involved with his characters. In fact, the character that I liked the most in this novel was that of Mrs. Fell. I hope to read more of her.

You can read about the book @Tipping My Fedora and @Confessions of a Mystery Novelist


First Line: The old lexicographer's study ran the length of his small house.

Series: Dr. Fell #1
Source: Open Library

Other books read of the same author: (Among Others) The Eight of Swords


View all my reviews

5 comments:

  1. I like Mrs. Fell, too, Neeru. And it's really interesting you got involved with characters both in a book you loved and in one you hated. Fascinating how that happens, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you too liked Mrs. Fell, Margot. And yes, it is mostly when I love or hate characters that I like or dislike books. Otherwise I am more or less indifferent to them.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Character is definitely one of the keys to enjoying a book. Like my friends: if I like them enough, I'll stick with them no matter what they do!
    (Sorry about the double comment. Not enough coffee . . . .)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a wonderful way of putting it, Jane.

      Delete