Sunday, April 16, 2017

Review: We Have Always Lived in the Castle

We Have Always Lived in the Castle We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Every other book, nowadays, is marketed as a psychological thriller/ mystery. I wish the writers of those books would read this book first before sitting down to write yet another tale narrated by a hysterical/ neurotic female.

Immensely moving and tragic. I want to read more of Shirley Jackson.

First Line: My name is Mary Katherine Blackwood.
Source: Open Library.
Other books read of the same author: The Haunting of Hill House.

View all my reviews

10 comments:

  1. I thought this book was an excellent psychological thriller, too, Neeru. And what a great way to tell the story - from Merricat's point of view. I thought that a stroke of genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right, Margot. The narrative by Merricat was beguiling but actually it was poor, doomed Constance who wrung my heart. I can't get over the image of her hiding her face with that shawl. Haunting.

      Delete
  2. My favorite Jackson book and it would be near the top of all the books I have read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read this but have heard of it, of course. It's on my TBR list but for whatever reason I haven't read it yet. I must obviously change my ways and make the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please do read it Yvette. I just so want everybody to read the book:)

      Delete
  4. It'll be one of my books to read next month. I've read only her short stories. Seen the movie of THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE dozens of times, but never read the book SHameful. So I'll make up for not having read any of her novels by starting with this one. One less person to worry about now. :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so happy you are reading it next month, John. The review sure will be interesting.

      Delete
  5. Okay okay okay!! I read only The Lottery, and that was a photocopy a friend lent me. But last week or the previous one on FFB someone did a Shirley Jackson book, and I expressed my remorse and promised to correct that dereliction, and now I WILL. I'm off to Amazon to feed my Kindle app...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahhhhaaaaa. Loved your response. It must seem to you as if the whole universe is conspiring to make you read Jackson. But seriously, I really liked this book and want to know how others react to it.

      Delete